Wednesday 14 September 2011

The walk

Just a couple of months ago I have decided that somehow I had to allow exercise to walk into my life:)...I have opted for joining the gym, I am starting to enjoy some classes, and I have been taking the opportunity to walk, also have decided to join this 12WBT program, that has been one of the best things I have done in a long, long time. I have managed to drag a couple of friends along, and we are all enjoying this ride very much!
Well my note is all about the "walk".
Every Sunday I have been doing what some people call the Bay walk. It is starting to be fun to do, as I usually go with someone that I really enjoy being around, and it become part of our weekend outings to do the Bay walk.
After all, we are starting to love walking!  So we have committed to do the Great Illawarra Walk. If you don’t know, it’s for Camp Quality, an institution that helps children with cancer and their families. The Walk goes for 100km from Shellharbour to Stanwell Park and back.  I have joined the walk on part 2 witch goes from Stanwell Park to shelllharbour, a walk of 50km.
The reason I want to share this Walk with you, is that I always try to get something positive out of almost everything I do in my life, even when things don’t look too bright! So here it is what I got out of my walk...
I have really admired a very young lady that was walking behind me for a long time for her wise words...Her other half /friend?? I don’t know...Kept saying to her how worried he was about his legs! "Tomorrow I will have very sore legs" She had the right words to say, that made me see my walk with very different eyes. Her answer was: These children wake up every morning with Cancer. If you awake up tomorrow with sore legs its ok! That is what I call a learning curve!
Are we too busy in our own world, that we become so selfish?
Walking, walking, walking I had an AIM, to overtake a very fast walker that was ahead of me the all time ,I tried to catch up with her so many times...she was so fast. She was in her late 50's, she had a beautiful smile, she was happy most of the time, and her energy level....OMG...I just couldn’t keep up with her, once I was jogging for over 200m trying hard to get a shot of her...when all of a sudden I see her taking a break in a bus stop, I passed, she said big hello with huge smile on, then I thought to my self: finally I will overtake her:)!
We kept walking, under heavy rain, I had second thoughts of stopping right there and then...My foot was starting to really hurt! I was wet, and cold, lost in my thoughts...when I looked ahead she had overtaken me again. And less then 5 minutes I  lost sight of her! I thought to my self if this lady can do it. I can too. Well I end up giving up at my 25kms I could no longer keep going, but I have no doubts she has made the end of that journey! "you" lady in pink, with a positive attitude with a bright smile on, with" one leg only” you were an inspiration to me, and too many others along that long road :).
Other thing that made me think a lot during this journey was the Sea Cliff Bridge, I was amazed by all the padlocks that have been attached to its rails...They say "Sea Cliff Bridge holds the key to love". The tradition is nothing new but the illawarra's most famous bridge is becoming a place where people can literally express the bonds of love. They add the padlock to the bridge and then throw the key in the sea. My Question is: Can we lock love?? Or should we use a smart padlock ...the one with combination numbers, Perhaps... so its not to tight, and its negotiable, and we still hold the key :) !?
It was for me, a walk to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment